DeSoto police are investigating a Sunday afternoon shooting that left an 18-year-old man dead and another 18-year-old detained.
Officers responded to a call about a shooting at around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 16, to a home in the 1300 block of Sequoia Court, according to police.
A witness called 911 to report that someone inside the residence had been shot, according to the DeSoto Police Department.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found several people inside the home, including an 18-year-old man who suffered from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Officers provided first aid until DeSoto Fire Rescue personnel arrived. The victim was transported to a hospital, where he later died.
Police detained another 18-year-old man at the scene who investigators believe was responsible for the shooting, but both the detained man and the victim were not related, according to police.
Authorities had not released the identity of either man Sunday evening as police worked to notify the victim’s next of kin.
Investigators described the shooting as an isolated incident and said there was no immediate threat to the public.
The investigation remains ongoing, and police said additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the DeSoto Police Department at 469-658-3050.